She said "Grandma!"
My two-year-old granddaughter Lily has known who I am for some time; but saying it has been problematic. My grandsons call me "Grandma," so naturally one would expect Lily to call me some form of that, as well. When she first vocalized words meaning her grandfather and me, they sounded like PaPa and PaPa to me. Jen heard a slight distinction between the two and told me Lily was using the word PaBa for me. OK, I can accept that...then recently she started saying - very clearly - "Grandpa." But she used it for both of us. It was only mildly confusing, because Lily knew who she was talking about and would make it quite clear if the wrong person responded.
But yesterday, I received a message on my cell phone: Lily's little voice said :"Hi, Grandma" just as clear as can be! As a bonus, Ryan said "Hi, Grandma, I love you" on the same message. Made my day. I even played it for the folks at the theater last night, who all made appropriate 'isn't that cute' comments.
Ahhh, Grandparenthood. I love it!

1 Comments:
You and my Mom are the same! I had Finny call her and he said HALLO MIMI several times into her voice mail and she told me later she spent the whole day playing it to anyone who would listen at work! It is so nice these small things in life are indeed meaningful and life sustaining.
Post a Comment
<< Home