Friday, February 16, 2007

How I Spent My Thursday....*updated with photos*

I went to the theater at about 12:30 in the afternoon and came home at 10:45pm. Whew! While there I did some paint work on the set. I rag-rolled two flats that are being used to mask the backstage area behind an open archway, I painted the gaffer's tape over the seams of several masking flats, and I stenciled, stenciled, stenciled on the walls of the main set. It really does make a nice difference to the set, but it takes so long! I am working alone, so I am up and down the ladder constantly getting the tape measure, level, pencil, straight-edge, paint, stencil and dauber. I have been leading up to this work for several days...I kept making mistakes with the placement of the stencil, so I would stop and come back to it. I had to 'erase' several attempts, which meant using a wet rag to clean off the paintm then redoing the 'texturizing' that was erased with the stencil. So when I came back to it today, I was nervous that I would make more mistakes. I don't know if I was clenching my jaw or what, but I developed an ache right at the mandibular joint on the right side. Add this to the aching shoulder and I actually stopped working to take an ibuprofen and find something to eat with it. Tom arrived about 6:15 and started working on the bannisters to the stairway. I like what he's doing. It's going to look really nice when he's done and it gets painted. Pictures soon. I am about two-thirds done, but I have a good handle on where and how to place the stencils so the last bit should go more quickly. Today is a 'down' day for Tom. He is off right now, volunteering with other folks from the base with a program called "Finding the 'U' in Sumter." He will either be planting trees or painting. He expects to be done there about 2:00 and then will likely head to the theater for more bannister work. I will join him for the afternoon and then attend tonight's rehearsal.
The stage is set to rehearse Act I. That's why it is such a mess! You can see a little of the work Tom has done on the bannisters.
A sampling of the stencil work I've been doing. Fourteen hours, and I'm almost done!

Another view. Like the torchiere lamp (left center)? Tom completely rewired it, and it works! The Propmaster will be using it in her home after the show.

A closser view of the stencils - a fleur-de-lis and a diamond. I made the stencils myself.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man you put a lot of work into that stencil but I can tell you that come opening night it will make a huge difference. I can also see the vision for dads bannister looks like that is going to be great as well.
Love Ya,
T.J.

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, T.J. I do think it is going to look great. The director wanted the apartment to be 'a character in itself.' I think Dad's got it.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Periwinkle Jen said...

It looks good. Hpw ome I can't paint my rooms that fast? I don't even need to stencil wallpaper...just remove it.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Joan S. said...

That set is nowhere NEAR completed. And what has been done so far was not 'fast.' The stenciling alone took 14 hours, and I'm not done! There are still arches to paint, doors, bannisters, scenery and the floor. I am the only consistently there - others come in when they can. Boy, my shoulder hurts!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home