Theater Thursday
I spent yesterday morning (from 8:00am on) working with some new folks at the theater. Our plan was to work on the fireplace because it is lying across the floor and needs to be moved so that the actors can use the space for rehearsals. Leann and Kerry are 'artists' that the director knows, and she wanted their help with this show. Neither has ever done set-painting before. This was the first time Leann had met me, and Kerry and I had met only briefly. Neither of these women knows my background and I don't know much about theirs...I found working with them yesterday to be a bit lonesome. They know each other and consulted each other on each step of the project, asking for and accepting nothing from me at all. Suggestions I made were declined or ignored. Swanee arrived, and it was the same, although she did speak up for a color I suggested which was unsatisfactory to the other two... They felt it would be 'too matchy.' Not even sure what tht means. During our time together, it was decided that Tom's 'square block' design on the fireplace was 'too busy' and should be replaced with rectangles. Kerry also wanted to add a brick border around the frame of the firebox. I did say 'no' to that -- the designer drew it without a border so we should not add one. Then the director stopped by and told us the color that had been chosen for the 'stone' of the fireplace was too light and was going to look pink under the lights. She was right about the pink part, but Tom planned for a lighter 'sandstone' look to the stone, not the dark 'cemetary gray' that Katie insisted on. It was decided to do one doorway in the dark gray and let Tom and Katie decide which way to go with the rest. So if Tom hates it, he will have to speak up. He is already unhappy about the change to the size of the stones...but is willing to be flexible if it looks OK. I felt like a third wheel the whole day. I hope I can make friends with these folks and begin to enjoy the work again.
Two of the ladies decided to bring their children with them on Saturday...We are into the 'detail' work for the show, so there isn't much painting I am willing to trust to 11 year olds...we'll see how that goes. Perhaps the kids will surprise me. I just hope I am not expected to 'look after them' while their mothers work. That won't be happening again!

2 Comments:
I hate when people just ignore me when I have more experience. Drives me nuts. SOrry you had a frutrating weekend.
Thanks -- but Sunday went a lot better. There wre different people there and they were very friendly and considerate. One even thanked me for all the work I've done. I thought that was sweet.
Post a Comment
<< Home