S A T U R DAY!
Every January, the Air Force holds the annual Chiefs' Induction Ceremony and ours was last night. Of course, Tom is always involved in preparations and yesterday was no exception. He was responsible for renting a spotlight and getting it to the venue. He also helped set up at about 2:00, then arrived for the dinner (with me in tow) an hour and fifteen minutes early so he could rehearse with the rest of the Honor Cordon. It was a nice event for the six inductees and their families - lots of pomp and circumstance. At the end of the evening, the Chiefs' Group surprised Colonel Hyatt with his own Honorary Chief title. He has been a true supporter of the Enlisted Corps on Shaw and they wanted to let him know how much they appreciate it. The Colonel was genuinely touched by the honor.
After the ceremony, I accompanied Tom the the airport to welcome home one of his returning troops. Tom was all dressed up in his Mess Dress uniform, so he looked really spiffy to the guy's wife, daughter and in-laws when he walked up. The mom-in-law immediately grabbed her camera for a picture. The young man is returning home just in time to greet his newest child -- his wife is ready to deliver at any time and was having contractions at the airport! Tom says the excitement of her husband's return will probably help the little arrive by today. Excitement. Yeah, that's the ticket! When he walked up the corridor from the plane, we could hear the little girl (four years old) call out "Daddy! There's my Daddy!" She ran past the 'Do Not Enter' signs and right into her Daddy's arms. Thank goodness, nobody from Security stopped her... other people walking by were all smiles and we heard several 'Daddy's home' comments. I cried when he wrapped his pregnant wife in his arms and didn't let go for five minutes or so. I always cry - when they leave, when they come home, when I see a guy in uniform hold his girl close. I just cry easily!

1 Comments:
Don't feel bad, I teared up just reading your description.
B
Post a Comment
<< Home