Tuesday, October 16, 2007

T.J.'s homecoming story

OK, you've waited long enough for the story:
T.J. let his family know in September that he had completed the 'first leg' of his trip and would be headed out of the Middle East soon, but he didn't have a date, yet. OK, no problem. I have been told by a reliable source (his father, but we won't go into that now) that the turnaround is usually about three days. So I notified the folks at the theater that I would be painting that day, but that I was headed north to greet my son the next morning. The theater folks did an admirable job of stepping up and finishing what I started, thank goodness.
So, I drove to my daughter's house to await the return of our only son. Jen was excited, too, and eager to see her brother after nine months. We started making preparations. Jen had told me about an idea to provide a 'goodie bag' to the other folks arriving with T.J.--she remembered how thirsty she was when she got off the plane from visiting me, so she watned to include water and some snacks in bags decorated by the kids. We also had the flags I had bought and pin-on buttons that say "Land of the Free, Courtesy of the Brave. Welcome Home." Several other members of the family wanted to come to the airport to meet him and they planned to brings flags and signs and Cathy made cookies for all the people on T.J.'s team, bless her. After waiting TEN DAYS, he finally was scheduled to arrive at the local airport at about 11:30am. That morning, I called the airport, just to verify the plane was still coming in and three different people I talked to didn't know anything about a plane coming in at 11:30....but there was one that came in at 3:00am...but he would have called you by now....
A very kind lady did check for me and her was not on that plane at three in the morning. Then she wanted to 'check something' so I should 'please hold.' I held. For ten minutes or a little more. When she came back she told me that his clight was 'unannounced' but it was coming in as scheduled. So off we went to the airport--Jen, me, Lily and Ryan with our three cases of water and 45 goodie bags for the returnees. On the way there I got a call from Jodi (T.J.'s girlfriend who flew in from Utah to meet his plane), just making sure she was at the right airport because there was no one else there, yet. She was about an hour early but she was at the right place. When we arrived, we found Jodi, her brother (T.J.'s friend and former coworker) and his family, Grandma and Uncle Bob already there. Carolyn (Grandma) was already making friends among the other parents waiting. We said all our 'hellos' then I started to give out my buttons. Then Aunt Dina arrived, then Aunt Laura and husband Gary, Lindsay and Britt came, too, and Aunt Cathy with Becca and four month old Adam, and Aunt Janet. We all stood around chatting while I gave out flags and more buttons to new arrivals and my Dad called, saying they were just leaving the house. While we were on the phone the announcement of the flight's arrival was made over the loudspeaker and T.J. was leaving a voicemail telling me the plane was on the ground. I had to call my parents back and suggest they come see T.J. at his sister's house later in the day. It still seemed to take the longest time for them to come out the glass doors between us and Customs. When they started coming out, it was one. at. a. time. As soon as the doors opened, all the people waiting cheered-loudly. A young woman was first, and very surprised at the cheering of her arrival. She seemed pleased, though. The returnees came out one by one and eventually a little more quickly. Each one was cheered and applauded and their reactions were priceless. Some were shy and ducked their heads. Other had no idea the greeting was for them and looked around to see who was being greeted in such a manner. Others accepted the cheers with a smile and a wave. People cheered more, then. It was fun! T.J. sure was taking a long time coming out, though. His friend Josh was our cheerleader--calling out welcomes to each one through the door, with whistles from Gary helping the cause. It was pointed out to me that all the people coming through the door were really good-looking, and it was true! I wonder if they had Fairy Dust in the dessert? When T.J. finally came through the door, the cheers were deafening! It rose like a roar of the crowd in a stadium. He raised his arm in the air and smiled. It was beautiful to see. I turned around and saw Jodi still standing behind me. I told her to "Go get him!" The girl can take direction--she ran to him as he cleared the barrier for a few seconds of hugging and perhaps a kiss--I am not sure of that part, I didn't really see it. Then we all went for our greetings. Ryan wanted to go to T.J., but seemed a little unsure, so T.J. crouched down to greet him and got a hug in return. T.J. scooped up Ryan and then I got to hug him with Ryan in his arms. I choked up and couldn't speak a proper welcome, but I hugged him real good. Then he moved on to greet each individual that had come to greet him.
Jen and I had planned enough goodie bags for his team, but it turned out there were 300 servicemembers on the plane! I had no way of knowing who was with their team, so I waited for instruction from T.J., who tried, but couldn't do uch with all the crowd... Then I spotted the leadership from his squadron that had arrived at the airport with the buses to take them to the base. Aha! I asked them the best way to share the goodies I had brought. After a few false starts and being sent here and there, we finally decided to deliver the cart full of stuff to the area where they were to have a quick briefing before being dismissed--right there in the arrivals area of the airport! I put the cart in the middle of the group, told them to help themselves, and they did. The leadership announced it also, although they said it was courtesy of 'the spouses and the families.' Um. I'm a MOM. Whatever. They got the goodies, and that was the important part.
Naturally, T.J. still had work to do and could not leave the airport right away, but most of us hung out and visited until his group was released. We were the very last ones to leave the area after the group arrived--and we had a great time! If you have never greeted a group of returning servicemembers, you don't know what you are missing.
Mother greets Son holding nephew.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home