Saturday, January 14, 2006

"L'il Fred's"

The Exercise ended yesterday. I knew it was over when I got an email from Tom's work account, saying "Would you like to go out to dinner tonight?" He had gotten a recommendation for a place about forty minutes from home in a town called Rembert. He wanted to take me there for my birthday in November, but somehow that didn't work out. So we tried again. I thought the name of the restaurant to be a bit odd for a 'really nice' place -- L'il Fred's. Doesn't that sound like a dive? At the very least, a burger joint? However, Lilfred's is a pretty nice restaurant. The building itself hasn't be updated in years, but the atmosphere was wonderful with quiet music - actually in the background! we could talk! and hear each other! - and subdued lighting and space between the tables. The waitress was efficient and personable, maybe only a tad too chatty, and the food was fabulous! We started with drinks. Beaujolais (red wine) for me and sweet tea for Tom, for the appetizer Tom had shrimp cocktail and I had crab-stuffed mushrooms caps. Delicious! Scarfed those puppies right down. The entree was sirloin steak for Tom and I had poached sea scallops. Yum! The meal also comes with homemade coleslaw and croutons, which the restaurant is 'known for,' bread and butter, steamed vegetables and choice of potato. We both had the twice-baked. For dessert, Tom has New York style cheesecake and I had coffee. We were both fully sated before we left the place. It was a really nice evening. When we moved here, I thought we would be limited to chain restaurants that I saw in Sumter. Thank goodness there is still room in the market for a really nice little place!

2 Comments:

Blogger Periwinkle Jen said...

Sounds like a good place for a Valentine's Day dinner:-)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Joan S. said...

See how sweet you are? And I was thinking 'what a great place to send Jen and Jay should they decide to visit again.'

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home