Long weekend
Hubby and I spent a long weekend -- Saturday to Tuesday morning -- visiting family up North. Hubby has wanted to go meet his new granddaughter since she was born, but something or other kept interfering. We were both thinking privately that we should go up for Mother's Day weekend. Unfortunately, when we looked at our schedules we realized we had already promised to work as volunteers at Darlington Racetrack that weekend. This is a fundraiser for different groups Tom is involved with at the base. I felt so stupid! We should have looked at the calendar when we were thinking of volunteering; we didn't, so we are committed. That is why we decided to go this weekend. It is also why we added a day to our original plan. Tom is very busy at work right now, so we were planning to come home on Monday. When we realized we would miss Mother's Day, we decided to stay an extra day so we could visit with our Moms.
So, dark and early on Saturday morning, we hit the road. We arrived at our daughter's home by 1300 (1:00pm), much to the surprise of our son-in-law who stated he was thinking we'd arrive about 1600 (4:00pm). Our son, TJ, came by that afternoon to see us, too. Jay had been working in the yard with his sister and her husband. They were replacing a gate post that had rotted. Since they were outside, Tom went out and started working on the stump left behind when he helped remove a tree when Ryan was a baby. TJ pitched in and they made some actual headway with the roots and some of the main part of the stump. They were all out there until dinnertime, when we sat down together for a nice meal.
On Sunday, hubby and I managed to get to 0900 Mass (9:00am) and returned tot eh house just in time for Jen's family to leave for their service. Ryan's hair was a mess, but Jen said he puts up such a fuss about combing that she just uses her fingers in passing to make him presentable. Tom overheard and decided to help. He got hold of Ryan and was brushing his hair with a two-sided brush he found in the powder room...but it was the dog's brush! He stopped brushing as soon as he was told. How was he to know a brush in the bathroom belonged to the dog? No harm done, but it was worth a giggle.
Sunday was a beautiful day, sunny and bright, but cool enough to enjoy, with a little breeze. Tom started working on the tree again, telling me he would gladly stop if Jen wanted to take the boys somewhere. That never happened -- Tom worked on the stump all day. We got to play with the kids, too, which was great. I also baked a Chocolate Pound Cake to take to my mother's house the next day.
Monday morning, I got up, said goodbye to Zach and prepared to bake another cake -- this one for my MIL. I also ordered the crabcakes for lunch at my parents, showered and dressed and got out the door about 30 minutes late...ooops. We got to Mom and Dad's shortly before my sisters. I did the topping for the cake and chatted with Mom and Dad. Lunch was nice -- the crabcakes were good and my sisters pitched in with getting the food onto the table with a minimum of fuss. Janet did all the table clearing, which was really nice. After lunch, we retired to the living room and visited until about 1530 (3:30pm) when Janet, Jim and Cathy had to go. Afterward, Mom and I went through some photos I had brought with me. I love photos. Then Hubby and I were off to dinner with HIS mother.
We arrived at Carolyn's and found a good parking spot, then visited at the house for a few minutes. Carolyn told us she had made a deposit on a condo that afternoon and she showed us the brochures for the new place. We also gave her the family portrait that we ordered for her in January, as well as a picture of my adult children and a wallet size, so she can show them off whenever she wants. Carolyn chose the spot for dinner - Jerry's Belvedere Tavern, back in the old neighborhood. Very nice to go back and see all the changes. It still seems like 'home' though. Then it was back to Carolyn's for coffee and a long chat. She showed us the quilt she made -- by hand -- for Lily Grace. Lovely tints and tones of pink and white. Jen will love it. Carolyn will give it to her after she has taken a picture of it to keep for herself. Tuesday morning I got up early to say goodbye to Jay since we hadn't seen him the night before and we were leaving later in the day. I also wanted to give him part of his birthday present -- a selection of flavored coffee samples to go with the programmable coffeemaker Jen has already given him. He likes the coffee on the long drive to work. Lily was in her swing in the living room, sleeping. Jay said she spent a portion of the night in their bed, then Ryan woke up scared so he joined the crowd. Jen was still in bed. I left her there while I made Zach's breakfast and saw him off to school. When Ryan came down, a little late for him, I fixed him some cereal and milk. I was watching the TiVoed version of 7th Heaven's finale episode, so Ryan played trains until it was over. We heard Tom moving around downstairs, so we went down to find him making the bed. Ryan asked "Did you have a good nap, Chief?" He did. Ryan helped put up the sofabed by rolling across the mattress to deflate it before Tom folded it up. 

Later, Jen got Lily and Ryan ready for some pictures, and I convinced Tom to put on a shirt, too. I even got a cute video of Ryan bouncing on Chief with his Hoppity-Hop. All too soon we had to load the car and head for home. I always hate leaving....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home