Sunday, June 11, 2006

Productive weekend

Tom has been far more productive than I, but we have both actually gotten a few things done this weekend. Yesterday morning I got the laundry going first thing, and Tom helped the next door neighbor remove some branches that were interfering with the swing in their tree. Then Tom and I went out on our bikes hunting yard sales. I got a little color from the sun, but no burn, thank goodness! Once back at the house, we gathered yard debris, recycling, trash and Tom even removed the termite-chewed railroad ties that surrounded our vegetable garden. We took all this, along with the neighbors cut-down branches, to the dump, then continued to Columbia and the Harbor Freight Store. We wanted to get one of their 'Mole-Chaser Windmills' to try to rid the yard of the pests. We only got one to see if it actually has an effect. We'll get more if we need them. As I told Tom, he never objects to another trip to Harbor Freight! Tom found a few other items that he wanted as well, among them wings for his remote control airplane. The wings were broken during the maiden flight when the plane crashed into a tree. Whike in the area, we also visited the Goodwill Store and the Closeout Store. We each made a small purchase at Goodwill, and admired all the neat stuff at Closeout. Another stop at the Base Exchange for pool chemicals and the commissary for groceries, then home for dinner. Not a bad day.
Today after Mass, Tom decided to accept one of the many volunteer opportunities there at Church. He is going to try to repair an outdoor spotlight that hasn't worked 'in a while.' The priest does not know anything about it, like where it is fed from, etc., so it might be a challenge. We shall see. Since then, Tom has been trimming some branches on our own trees, then trimming dead branches from shrubs I pointed out to him. Now he is working in the garage, refurbishing an antique table we brought back from Belgium. I have been weeding the vegetable garden and fertilizing the many different plants and gardens in the yard. I can already tell that we will have a lot to do come fall -- trimming, shaping, weeding, separating. I guess it will keep me busy!
During the coming week we will be preparing to visit my Dad for Father's Day. That means the grass will need cutting beforehand...I'm hoping it cools off a bit -- it's in the mid 90's today, headed for 100 degrees, according to the weatherman.
I hope y'all had as good a weekend as we did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home