Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm visiting up North...

Cookie Day is Saturday and I wanted to come up for that. Cookie Day, you ask? Cookie Day has been a tradition in my family since I was a young girl. It started when Mom was trying to bake cookies with four little kids getting underfoot in our rowhouse kitchen. She decided to get us out from underfoot by setting us up in the dining room with decorations and trays of sugar cookies needing decoration. From that humble beginning, a wonderful Family Tradition was born. Cookie Day is a full day of family and fun, starting with bagels and juice about 11:00am, followed by cookie decorating, the traditional Cookie Day Christmas ornament handmade by MomMom for all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren, the Cookie Day contest (usually a guessing game with the winner getting the item guessed over), Christmas music, a buffet dinner and so much more. It's really not about the cookies at all, it's about family. I haven't been able to come for Cookie Day in about seven years, now, so this year is quite a treat for me. The reason I came up early is Tom's job has him working very long days all this week, so I wouldn't really see much of him. He suggested I drive up and spend some time with the grandkids. I thought that was pretty smart, so I came up on Tuesday. And there you have it.

Today was Ryan's last gymnastics class this year, and spectators were permitted. Jen, Lily and I enjoyed standing with the other parents during the class. Afterward, we took Ryan to get a haircut, then home. I went back by myself for my evening appointment and I am currently sporting a new hairstyle, too.

Tonight was Zachary's last evening as a seven-year-old -- tomorrow he will be EIGHT! He enjoyed all the dinner table talk about the coming birthday. Jay asked him what would happen if he skipped eight and turned nine by mistake. Zach was too smart to think that could really happen, though. After the kids went to bed, Jen made cookies for Zach to take to school as a treat for the whole class. She also is sending some candy, just for fun. Zach will enjoy sharing his birthday treat with the rest of the kids. His party will be held on Sunday. Unfortunately, only one child has responded that she will be coming...I hope the ones who haven't responded can come! I think Mommy may be making some phone calls tomorrow.... There will be adult family members there, too, so it won't be a total bust. December birthdays are so hard.

Jen is gettin HER hair cut tomorrow, so I get the little ones to myself for about an hour in the morning. Tomorrow evening, I am having dinner with Mom and Dad. Cookie Day is Saturday and Sunday is Zach's party. Monday I head home again. I've been pretty busy!

2 Comments:

Blogger One Tweet Thing said...

Tell Zach I said Happy Birthday!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY COOKIE DAY !!!!!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home