Visiting Girlies
On Thursday of this past week, T.J. and Jodi brought us their dogs to look after while they traveled further north to Vermont for the funeral services for Jodi's Grandpa Schutzman, which were scheduled for Friday. Naturally, we were happy to keep the dogs--they are sweet and loving and fun to have visit, even if they do wake up early when they visit here. Tom was out of bed two or three nights at about 3:00am, because the doggies (mostly Lola) wanted out...this is not normal for them, but she insisted and did need to go out, so what can you do? Luckily, they do go back to sleep when they are returned to the bedroom, so Tom can grab another few minutes before he starts his day.
I love having the girls visit--they make me laugh on a regular basis, and they also make me feel warm and secure. On TV this morning, they were talking about new breeds added to the Westminister Dog Show--each different dog caught Lola's attention when they were shown in close-up. She approached the TV like she was going to sniff the newcomers. Hee. Yesterday, when I felt so badly after my attempted platelet donation and fell asleep sitting up on the sofa -- I awoke to find Lola snuggled up next to me with her head in my lap. Of course, this was after she insisted on a trip outside while I felt so awful. I took her out on a leash, and she behaved well...and made up for making me go outside by making me feel all warm and comfortable.
As for Lucy, I had noticed that she comes in from outdoors and immediately sits nicely, waiting for her treat for being a good dog. Tom noticed that she will go so far as to step outside with Lola, then immediately come back in and sit to wait for her treat. How smart is she? Lucy also makes sure she is present anytime Lola might be getting a treat--like when we put Lola in her crate in preparation for leaving the house. Lola gets a treat for entering nicely, and Lucy is right there looking at you as if to say "I deserve a treat, too!' She knows I am a soft touch.
Speaking of 'soft touch,' Lily has me figured out, too. She came over last evening with Mommy and Ryan to spend some time with us and the dogs. Ryan and Grandpa were working on some Cub Scout stuff while we visited in the family room. At one point, Lily took me by the hand and dragged me toward the stairs saying something about showing me something she wanted to have but would have to ask Mommy about first...when we reached the doorway to the dining room, she stopped suddenly and said 'the walkie-talkies are gone.' Walkie-talkies? In talking to her, I figured out that she was looking for candy. The only candy I could think of was the Werther's Originals that were in a candy dish in the living room. They were the right thing. Do you think she misunderstood 'toffee'? She took one each for Mommy and Ryan, and two for herself and ran off to ask Mommy if it was OK. Mommy said yes!

2 Comments:
Take care of yourself! Geraldine X
We can't thank you enough! I know that they can be annoying at times, waking you up and insisting on attention...but I'm glad that they also bring laughter and joy. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home