"Dog Sees God" - Confessions of a Teanage Blockhead"
Tom and I went to see the play mentioned in the title yesterday afternoon. It is the unauthorized story of Charlie Brown and the Peanuts Gang in High School. This was pointed out on the program
--"this play has not been authorized or approved by the Charles M. Schulz Estate or United Features Syndicate, which have no responsibility for its content."Which is a good thing, because what a bunch of jerks those sweet little kids turned out to be! I kind of hated that aspect of it - who wants to see Linus (called 'Van' in the play) as a stoner, or Pigpen (Matt) as a bully? Peppermint Patty (Tricia) and Marcy, still best friends, were 'mean girls' and drunk in school...not where I would picture those innocent characters from that sweet comic strip.
I have to say, though, that the actors did a really good job with it - I fully believed them in their roles.
The play ended with a beautiful letter from CB's (Charlie Brown's) pen pal. It was so well written and so well acted that I cried. And on the way home, Tom pointed out that he didn't realize the connection between the comic strip and the play (not sure how he missed it, since he chose the play!) and things made so much more sense once he figured that out. We batted about a few thoughts and ideas, came to some realizations (so OBVIOUS once you notice them) and decided, while weird, it was a good play.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home