Saturday, October 11, 2008

Meeting the neighbors...

If you've been keeping up, you know that Tom and I have been refinishing the wood floors in the bedrooms of our new house. This means that we cannot sleep in our bedroom, for several reasons. Among them--it was very dusty; the sealer and/or polyurethane was wet; it smelled really bad. First we tried sleeping on our air mattress in the basement. This proved to be very cold, as the cement floor conducted the cold right into the air mattress. So the next night we tried the kitchen. It made sense--small room, upper level, nearby electricity...and when we went to sleep, I opened the door leading to the basement to block the view of the kitchen from outside the kitchen door, which has six glass panels. Tom thought I was being silly, as we haven't seen much of anybody since our first day when I waved to the little boy next door and his mother as they waited outside for the school bus. I insisted and he left the door where it was.
We were awakened the next morning by knocking on our kitchen door! Our neighbor was locked out of her home and asked to borrow our phone. We were both a little sleep-goofy, with Tom coming to his senses first, putting on his pants and scooting me into the other room where I could get dressed quickly so I needn't be embarrassed in front of our new neighbor. The poor woman apologized repeatedly, saying 'what a terrible way to meet' and so forth. Anyway, her name is Kathy, they have lived here 19 years and she says it is a nice neighborhood. At least it was until we moved in....
Oh, and the floors are done, they look great and we are back in the bedroom where we belong!

1 Comments:

Blogger Periwinkle Jen said...

Why didn't you just stay here you goofballs!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home