HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009!
I wish everyone a wonderful year 2009, with sincere hopes for happiness and love in your lives.
Tom and I spent New Year's Eve at my sister's beach house south of here. Cathy and Jim have a lovely home there--still a 'vacation' home, but Jim loves it there so much I am sure he wouldn't mind living there full time. Cathy enjoys the beach house, but 'home' is much closer to her children and grandchildren. Not to say the the children and grandchildren don't come to the beach house--they do! But their lives are back where they grew up. Anyway, we were invited to spend the holiday, and others who were expected included two of C & J's kids and their spouses and kids, our parents, and our sister Janet and her husband. Unfortunately, Dad called Cathy early on New Year's Eve to say Mom wasn't feeling up to coming--which was kind of sad, but did free up a room for Tom and me. Otherwise, we would have been either on a pull out sofa or under the stairs. I know that sounds awful, but if you could see the house, you would understand that it is not so bad. I just enjoy being with people I love--I don't really care where I sleep. The three little ones were adorable, and each of the two babies let me hold them for a short time several different times. I consider that quite a coup, since these children don't see me often at all. Dinner was a lovely lasagna with salad, rolls and delicious desserts. I brought two desserts--an Apple Danish Braid (Pampered Chef recipe) and a Black Russian Cake (Duncan Hines recipe I got from a friend while living in Belgium). The cake was not the big hit it has been elsewhere, but the Braid did OK.
It was far too windy for the fireworks Jim planned, so after dinner we talked and looked at wedding pictures from T.J. and Jodi's wedding, and talked some more. I enjoyed it very much.
The next day was quiet, but really nice. Janet and Jim had stayed at a hotel the night before, so we all had breakfast before they arrived. Breakfast was waffles-made by Jim-with orange juice or a mimosa. Jim suggested a mimosa might help with my cough, so he made me one and it was yummy. I still had the cough, though.
Tom took some time for a run, and while he was out Janet and Jim arrived. They enjoyed some breakfast and we all hung our for a while. My nephew John made pulled pork sandwiches for lunch. This required that he get up several times during the night to baste the meat in the oven. He would have preferred to do it on the grill outside, but the high winds made this impossible. Anyway, the sandwiches were yummy. Janet and Jim headed for home about three...Tom and I thought to head our shortly after, but were convinced to stay for dinner and fireworks.
Dinner was sandwiches, toasted on Jim's new Griddler if desired. Then we watched the sunset and chatted for a while. Then it was time for fireworks. Jim had them nicely set up an organized. He had a remote switch for the fuses so things went off very smoothly. The fireworks were fun up close, and then we could see some across the river on the horizon, as well. Very cool. The babies were so sweet watching the fireworks. I think it was Adam who looked up and said "Oh, Wow!"
We finally headed for home about 8:30. Tom handled the driving and got us home safely in about an hour and a half. Good times.
I hope your New Year's Celebrations were everything you wanted them to be and the New Year brings you happiness, health, prosperity and peace. Happy 2009!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home