Final Day -- The Music Man
The show goes up tonight. There is still painting to be done. I honestly thought it was close to finished the week Jen and the kids arrived. What I did not know is that a LOT of set pieces were still to be built! By a lot, I mean seven benches, two sets of stairs, three sets of 'bleachers', a doorway, a footbridge, and pool table crate, and a counter for the library. Not a drib of paint on a single one of these items Monday evening when I went to the rehearsal. Katie asked me if I was available to come paint. I would be working with Augie because Ken had 'walked.' Huh? So the last two days I have been at the theater about eleven hours, painting and watching the rehearsals in order to prioritize work. Ken has been coming in to help, which I don't understand, but OK. Yesterday though, he and Augie had words which was both embarassing and annoying. At one point, Augie walked up to me, stated angily "He needs to learn to shut the %$#@ up. This is no longer HIS show!" and walked away. He later apologized for his outburst, which I appreciated but I didn't like being put on that spot in the first place. When Ken left the building he made a point to say goodbye to me, which was nice, but he totally ignored Augie which was awkward. Last night I tried to work during the show, but that was a nightmare. I got very little done due to a lack of tools at the Hall and lack of space as well. The poor actors-60 of them-were in the 'holding' room with just enough space for all of them, and I was in a corner trying to line a flat to make it look like a clapboard house. Not pretty.
Today, I am waiting for a delivery before I go into the theater. Then I will be spending the day finishing that house flat and anything else I can do. I do enjoy the work, but I hate the rush. It is helping me learn to be faster, though! Hoping for better pictures soon. I got these during Tuesday's rehearsal.


Sorry for the blurriness--I took them without a flash because the rehearsal was ongoing. There was no real lighting, either. But if you look carefully, you can see the books in the background of the library scenes. Oh, the cast has discovered their names on the books. I hear they were really excited to find their own names.

3 Comments:
I did realize that the played started so soon. I hope that my package arrives early so that you can get to the theater and finish. Thanks a million for waiting you really did not have to do that. You are the best.
Love
T.J.
Ken is a %$#@-head!
B
B ~ I tend to agree that Ken behaved badly, especially considering he is one of the few people that gets PAID for his work on the production. That said, he did come in several times during the final preparations to make sure rigging was secure and everyone onstage would be safe under all the flats, curtains, and other stuff above their heads. While he was there, he made a point to praise Augie's work lavishly. (The male version of an apology, for sure.) That took integrity--and guts.
Post a Comment
<< Home