Tear - down
I discovered today that I am not very good at tearing down set pieces by myself. I have helped before, but my job usually entails removing screws, carrying small pieces general 'go-fer' type work. Nobody else was there when I was there today, so I did what I could. I had a terrible time with the cordless screwdriver--no power, no speed and the batteries needed recharging really quickly. I finally happened on a battery that fit but didn't actually belong to the driver, but held some power.
I disassembled sections that I knew how to do. I had trouble with some screws that the driver didn't have enough power to get started. Eventually I skipped over those to get done what I could. I could NOT figure out how to disassemble the 'bleachers,' though, so I gave up and went home when I reached that point. Augie called me later to apologize for not beoing there and to explain that the bleachers were held together with 'lag bolts,' which he considered 'overkill.' I'd rather have the piece stronger than it needs to be than the other way around! Those bleachers were holding 20 - 25 actors each night of the show, a lot of them kids! No room for accidents.
Work on the next play, "A Bad Year for Tomatoes" begins Monday. I am set painter and set dresser for that show. It shouldn't be too difficult--one set throughout the show, that is supposed to look like it came from Sears & Roebuck. I think I can handle that. Heck, that's my life!

2 Comments:
Don't worry mom I don't like cordless drills either. it really sounds like this theater needs you alot, with out you things may just take forever to get done. I hope you get help with tear down tomorrow and things go a little smoother.
Love
T.J
Actually, I stayed home and let the guy getting paid do the heavy work I wasn't able to do. He must have done okay, because the new set is already 'mostly' built, I am told.
Post a Comment
<< Home