Thursday, May 29, 2008

A few pics from our Memorial Day Weekend....

Thanks to a 'down day' at Tom's job, we had a four-day weekend. Tom, being the industrious fellow that he is, kept very busy. Below is our weekend in pictures:

Tom started on Friday with emptying the pool. The filter died last summer and we never restarted it when Tom got back for the desert. As you can see, we had a swamp. At one point, I was certain that water could be classified as a solid...and the mosquitoes were not very happy at the disturbance to their way of life....
While the pool was emptying, Tom cleaned the inside then washed the outside of my car. We waxed it together. Doesn't she look pretty?
Also while the pool was emptying, we worked together on power-washing the porch and sidewalk at the front of the house. As you can tell from the pictures, the cleaning made a huge difference!
THIS is the reason we won't have such a mess next year--Tom previously installed a gutter and downspout to prevent the gullywash during rainstorms. On Saturday morning, we joined the American Legion in placing flags on the graves of our veterans.

Photo by Tom

Photo by Tom

Photo by Tom

Photo by Tom

On Saturday during the rest of the day, we finished up emptying out the pool. It took both of us with scoops made from plastic bottles and buckets working for a couple of hours before the final puddles of nasty green water were gone and we could wash the sides and bottom before filling it with fresh, clean water.

Once the water started filling the pool, we took ourselves off to the capital city to see "Southern Baptist Sissies." From the title, I thought it was a comedy. I was very wrong. While it had it's lighter moments, this was very much an 'agenda' play--the agenda being much the same as "Rent"~accept gay people as they are or else. While I understand and agree with the thoughts behind this, I just go to the theater to be entertained, not taught. It's kind of like how "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" lost it's appeal for me when each week became an object lesson from Hollywood. Anyway, the set was interesting, the acting was GOOD, and the direction was a little more artsy than I usually understand--but generally I enjoyed the show. Afterward, we saw Jonathan Jackson, the lead actor, in the lobby. I was tempted to speak to him and tell him I always enjoy watching his work, when I remembered how stupid I sounded when I spoke to Kevin Bush after "The Thing About Men." Silly. Just plain silly. One would have thought I was twelve and seeing Frank Sinatra for the first time. So embarrassing. And my husband never once made fun of me, either, sweet man that he is....

Which brings us to Sunday and the Iris Festival at Swan Lake Iris Gardens.

I love how swans are so often seen in pairs. The Japanese iris being celebrated at the Festival.This swan was very patient about preening her feathers...Poor little thing was sleeping soundly, even with all those people around...I thought she looked so cute. I didn't mean to wake her....

Monday was kind of a 'stay home and rest up from the weekend' day. We grilled dinner and enjoyed each other's company.

What did you do to commemorate Memorial Day?

2 Comments:

Blogger Periwinkle Jen said...

Please post an after picture of the pool. The one on this post is NOT making me want to come visit;-)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Joan S. said...

Aw, c'mon! Where's your sense of adventure? ;)

Seriously (*and I will post a pic), the pool is gorgeous now. The ladder has been thoroughly cleaned, but not replaced. That's part of why I haven't posted the 'after' shot. The water, though, is clear, clean and ready for swimming in! Come on down!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home