Today we saw our very first wild... *updated with photos*
MANATEE! How cool is that?

Kev, Geraldine, Tom and I had driven down to Charleston to see the battleship Yorktown. As we were walking along the pier toward the ship, Tom asked "What is that?" I thought he meant the beautiful white bird flying overhead, but he said 'no' he was looking in the water...and it was a manatee! Just as we saw her she sort of rolled forward. Her tail came up and a little out of the water and she went below the surface. We waited a few minutes to see if she would surface again, but eventually started walking toward the ship...then Geraldine looked back and saw the manatee surface again! Tom and Kev tried to get photos (Kev has been having a great time with his new camera) but missed. Tom announced he wasn't leaving until the manatee resurfaced. Five minutes later she did. Tom got it on video and Kev got some still photos. I'll try to add a picture after we've downloaded them.

Kev, Geraldine, Tom and I had driven down to Charleston to see the battleship Yorktown. As we were walking along the pier toward the ship, Tom asked "What is that?" I thought he meant the beautiful white bird flying overhead, but he said 'no' he was looking in the water...and it was a manatee! Just as we saw her she sort of rolled forward. Her tail came up and a little out of the water and she went below the surface. We waited a few minutes to see if she would surface again, but eventually started walking toward the ship...then Geraldine looked back and saw the manatee surface again! Tom and Kev tried to get photos (Kev has been having a great time with his new camera) but missed. Tom announced he wasn't leaving until the manatee resurfaced. Five minutes later she did. Tom got it on video and Kev got some still photos. I'll try to add a picture after we've downloaded them.
photos by Kevin


2 Comments:
HA! That's more manatees than I've ever seen, and a few years ago when we were in Florida, we went to a place called The Manatee CENTER. (nope, didn't see a single one)
How cool!
That's so cool! I love manatees. I've never seen one in the wild though.
Post a Comment
<< Home