Memorial Day Tribute
This morning, Tom and I volunteered with about 50 others to go out with the Veteran's Organizations here in Sumter to place flags at the graves of veterans in different cemeteries around town. Tom and I went to Sumter Cemetery. Our instructions were to look for indications of military service -- a round circle with a cross in it on the memorial stone, indicators like Sgt., Col., Gen., or the name of the military unit were all ways to determine a veteran. We even found one by his picture in uniform etched onto the stone. I personally placed flags for veterans of the Civil War, the Spanish American War, WWI, and WWII. We also saw graves of Viet Nam vets. Sometimes the indicators were difficult to locate, and at the end when everyone else was gone, Tom and I found a few stones with no flag to honor their service...I was touched when Tom offered a salute instead.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home