Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Full Monty

Tonight, Tom, Kev, Geraldine and I went to The Workshop Theater in Columbia to see The Full Monty. I had my reservations about this particular play when Tom suggested it, but Geraldine seemed to think it would be fun and Tom agreed, so I made the reservations last week and off we went this evening.
We started the day with several attempts for Geraldine and I to spend a 'girlie day.' Kev made this suggestion when we were deciding what to do -- I think he was making up for all the Civil War history and museums we had been seeing. Anyway, I tried to reach the spa where I have a gift certificate for a foot treatment. I wanted to arrange facials and eyebrow waxings. I left a message on the answering machine yesterday, and tried to call again when we got no response by 10:00 this morning. In trying other places I found online, either they didn't do what we wanted or they were booked. I finally managed to book eyebrow waxing at one place and manicures at another...odd way to do it, but I worked with what was available.
Neither Geraldine nor I had ever had our eyebrows waxed before; we had both heard how painful it was, so we were a little nervous. We waited for the place to reopen after lunch, then went inside and were seen right away. I went first (lucky me) and found it wasn't so terrible. The technician used a numbing cream first, then applied the wax and the papers. Then she asked 'shall I count, or just do it?' Both of us said 'just do it.' We're such a Nike commercial! We were out in less than an hour, both with noticeably more defined eyebrows, and were off to the mall for lunch and our next appointment. We were forced to shop a bit since there was time before our appointment. Then we both had good, old-fashioned manicures with the soaking, the filing, the creams and the polish. It looks so pretty! We both chose a pinky sort of color that seems somewhat neutral, so we can wear it without clashing with anything. Geraldine's looked especially pretty as she has lovely oval fingernails. I wonder if the blokes at work will notice on Monday?
When we got home, Tom and Kev had returned from there 'guy outing' (they spent some time with the EOD troops, disposing of a possible explosive. Definitely guy stuff.) and it was time to go. The guys had grabbed a sandwich, but us girls had not eaten since lunchtime, so we went to the theater, got the tickets, then the guys literally ran to a sub shop to get us a sandwich before the show. Good sandwiches. Then we went into the theater for a truly wonderful evening.
The show was 'Americanized' from the movie, so it was about steelworkers who had been laid off from their jobs. One was struggling to meet support payments and was in danger of losing shared custody when he comes up with an idea to make a lot of money in one night - by stripping. The rest of the show explored the struggles to get the show up and was both funny and touching. It was acted really well acted, sung beautifully, and even the dancing and the stripping was handled very well. Yes, they really did go 'The Full Monty.' On the way out, we were behind a group of elderly folks. One of the ladies kept saying 'That was wonderful! Wonderful!" This really tickled Geraldine...then Tom comes out with "That old guy's gonna get lucky tonight!" and poor Geraldine just lost it. She was laughing so hard, she got me going. Anyone who knows me knows once you get me going, it takes a while for it to stop...the guys seemed to just stare open-mouthed at us, although I can't say that for sure because I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. If you ever have the chance to see this show, go. I just hope it is as well done as this one!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Workshop theater is GREAT. They have some really talented people come through there.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home