Thursday, March 01, 2007

Opening night...

...went pretty well. I didn't forget any cues, and only had trouble with two. One when I forgot to 'pause' the CD player after the opening music, so the bell tolled too soon...

The second was at the same time as I had a problem last night -- when the actor spoke more quickly than usual. I practiced and learned a good way to do it, but tonight she was slower than last last night....So I couldn't go directly to the next cue, I had to 'pause', then press the button for the cue. Since the first track had reached the end, if I press 'play, it takes five seconds for the sound to go off. If I press 'forward' or 'back' I go to the wrong cue...tomorrow night, I will just have to stop the first cue early, then press 'forward' then 'play' and hope it works. Maybe it will....

There was also a funny incident in tonight's performance. Back story -- at a certain point in the play 'Andrew' asks 'Barrymore' for advice. 'Barrymore' places pillows on the floor and has 'Andrew' sit there at his feet while 'Barrymore' waxes eloquent on the proper performance of Hamlet. Well, 'Andrew' had difficulty sitting in a modest manner while dressed in Hamlet's tights on the pillows. I took in a little footstool I bought in Belgium. It is oak, carved and my favorite little piece of furniture. I thought perhaps it would be easier for the actor to sit there than on the pillows. I checked with the director, who gave the go-ahead for them to try it. The actors didn't use the stool last night, so I asked if I should remove it from the set tonight. 'Barrymore' had forgotten about it, so they decided to try it tonight. At the appropriate time, 'Barrymore' pulls the stool out from under the throne, holds it up so all can see, places it on the floor next to the throne, then pats it, indicating 'Andrew' should sit. 'Andrew' was unaware of just how small this stool is until he saw it. His reaction was priceless! He sort of squatted down with his arms out for balance until he was in a sitting position, then he pulled his knees together and looked up at 'Barrymore.' The look on his face was hilarious! He sat there through the whole speech, with his knees slightly higher than his waist -- too funny. The cast and crew watching from the wings were laughing so hard they had to move away or risk being heard by the audience. The director didn't like it -- but we sure did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home