Why would a Sleep Study Be Exhausting?
Seriously--you go there. You sleep. Someone studies you. Why would YOU be the one who is exhausted the next day? Maybe I am the exception, but I was totally wiped out for the next day.
Oh, and I read all the paperwork ahead of time--in the FAQs it asks "Will I be able to go to work the next day?" The answer is 'sure!' and they talk about the fact that there are no showers, but there are facilities for 'freshening up' in the morning. What they don't mention--either in the paperwork of in the video you get to watch beforehand--is that they are going to glue electronic sensors to your head! Yes, GLUE. To your head. Under your hair. As they put the glue in your hair, the technician tells you to shower when you get home 'with the hottest water you can stand' and 'it will come out.' The other thing they don't mention? Gauze. Stuck up with the glue in your hair like chewing gum. So if you decided to go to work with big lumps of glue in your hair, someone is going to notice the white stuff peeking out from under! I mentioned this in the evaluation afterward. I think it is wrong to give the impression that one can go to work when going to work in that state would be totally unprofessional.
Other things were not as one might expect after watching TV or listening to someone else who has had a sleep study. I did not have to stay up all night before the study (like on "Friends"), and I didn't have to sleep on my back all night--although range of motion was limited by the numerous wires and sensors. The bed was comfortable and the room was more hotel-like than hospital-like.
After my first sleep study, the technician said I slept 'goo-od'. She also said I snore loudly and I am a "rough" sleeper, turning this way and that, first hot then cold. Well, DUH! I am 51 years old. Hot flashes, anyone? Anyone at all? I have more than I need. Poor Tom. He says he is used to me and I don't keep him awake, though.
The technician did NOT put the CPAP (Continuous Pressure something something) equipment on me in the middle of the study, as both she and the video indicated she would if I suffered apnea during the first part of the test. Instead, I get to do a second study with the equipment from the beginning. Oh, goody. Have you seen one of those things? The technician says they are different now, but in the video they showed me, the CPAP sleep system looked like an athletic supporter pulled over your head with the cup placed over your nose! I'd never sleep because I'd be too busy laughing at the way I must look like (and wondering if the cup had been sanitized) all night!
I think I am going to need a sense of humor about this whole thing. Rats!

1 Comments:
My Aunt uses a sleep CPAP machine and she brings it with her everywhere even when she came to Europe. It is a silent machine and it does have a weird mask, but I guess she feels that it makes a difference. (She used to snore like a 300 pound bear.)
Post a Comment
<< Home